SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION
Washington, D.C. 20549
PURSUANT TO SECTION 13 OR 15(D)
OF THE SECURITIES EXCHANGE ACT OF 1934
Date of Report (Date of earliest event reported): March 12, 2023
Adit EdTech Acquisition Corp.
(Exact name of registrant as specified in its charter)
(State or other jurisdiction
|1345 Avenue of the Americas, 33rd Floor|
|New York, New York||10105|
|(Address of principal executive offices)||(Zip Code)|
(Registrants telephone number, including area code)
(Former name or former address, if changed since last report)
Check the appropriate box below if the Form 8-K is intended to simultaneously satisfy the filing obligation of the registrant under any of the following provisions:
Written communication pursuant to Rule 425 under the Securities Act (17 CFR 230.425)
Soliciting material pursuant to Rule 14a-12 under the Exchange Act (17 CFR 240.14a-12)
Pre-commencement communications pursuant to Rule 14d-2(b) under the Exchange Act (17 CFR 240.14d-2(b))
Pre-commencements communications pursuant to Rule 13e-4(c) under the Exchange Act (17 CFR 240.13e-4(c))
Securities registered pursuant to Section 12(b) of the Act:
Title of each class
Name of each exchange
on which registered
|Units, each consisting of one share of common stock and one-half of one redeemable warrant||ADEX.U||NYSE American LLC|
|Common stock, par value $0.0001 per share||ADEX||NYSE American LLC|
|Redeemable warrants, exercisable for shares of common stock at an exercise price of $11.50 per share||ADEX.WS||NYSE American LLC|
☒ Indicate by check mark whether the registrant is an emerging growth company as defined in Rule 405 of the Securities Act of 1933 (§230.405 of this chapter) or Rule 12b-2 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 (§240.12b-2 of this chapter).
If an emerging growth company, indicate by check mark if the registrant has elected not to use the extended transition period for complying with any new or revised financial accounting standards provided pursuant to Section 13(a) of the Exchange Act.
|Item 1.01.|| |
Entry into a Material Definitive Agreement.
The information provided in Item 2.03 of this Current Report on Form 8-K is incorporated by reference into this Item 1.01 to the extent required.
|Item 2.03.|| |
Creation of a Direct Financial Obligation of an Obligation under an Off-Balance Sheet Arrangement of a Registrant.
As previously announced, on August 6, 2021, Adit EdTech Acquisition Corp. (the Company or ADEX) issued an unsecured promissory note (the Original Note) to Adit EdTech Sponsor, LLC (the Payee) pursuant to which the Company was permitted to make certain advances and readvances in amounts not to exceed a total principal amount of $300,000. On March 12, 2023, the Company issued an amended and restated convertible promissory note (the A&R Note) to the Payee.
The A&R Note increases the maximum aggregate amount of advances and readvances permitted from $300,000 to $1,000,000. The A&R Note remains convertible at the election of the Payee at a conversion price of $1.00 per warrant into warrants to purchase shares of the Companys common stock, par value $0.0001 per share (Common Stock). Any warrants issuable under the A&R Note and any shares of Common Stock issued upon exercise of such warrants shall be entitled to customary registration rights pursuant to that certain Registration Rights Agreement entered into among the Company, the Payee, and certain other security holders named therein, dated as of January 11, 2021. No interest shall accrue on the unpaid balance of the A&R Note.
A copy of the A&R Note is filed with this Current Report on Form 8-K as Exhibit 4.1 and is incorporated herein by reference, and the foregoing description of the A&R Note does not purport to be complete and is qualified in its entirety by reference thereto.
|Item 3.02.|| |
Unregistered Sales of Equity Securities.
The information disclosed under Item 2.03 of this Current Report on Form 8-K is incorporated by reference into this Item 3.02 to the extent required. The Note is not expected to be registered under the Securities Act of 1933, as amended (the Securities Act), and will be issued in reliance on the exemption from registration requirements thereof provided by Section 4(a)(2) of the Securities Act.
|Item 8.01.|| |
On March 12, 2023, the board of directors of the Company elected to extend the date by which the Company must complete an initial business combination by one month, from March 14, 2023 to April 14, 2023 (the Extension). In connection with the Extension, GRIID Infrastructure LLC (GRIID Infrastructure) deposited an aggregate of $148,045.32 (representing $0.06 per public share of Common Stock) into the Companys trust account for its public stockholders on behalf of the Company. This deposit was loaned to ADEX pursuant to a previously disclosed promissory note issued by ADEX to GRIID Infrastructure on January 13, 2023. The Extension is the third of six one-month extensions permitted under the Companys amended and restated certificate of incorporation, as amended, and provides the Company with additional time to complete its initial business combination.
Important Information About the Merger and Where to Find It
This Current Report is not a proxy statement or solicitation of a proxy, consent or authorization with respect to any securities or in respect of the proposed business combination transaction between ADEX and Griid Holdco LLC (GRIID) and shall not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy the securities of GRIID, the combined company or ADEX, nor shall there be any sale of any such securities in any state or jurisdiction in which such offer, solicitation, or sale would be unlawful prior to registration or qualification under the securities laws of such state or jurisdiction. ADEX has filed a Registration Statement on Form S-4, as amended from time to time, containing a proxy statement/prospectus with the Securities and Exchange Commission (the SEC). The definitive proxy statement/prospectus will be sent to all ADEX stockholders. Before making any voting decision, investors and security holders of ADEX are urged to read the proxy statement/prospectus and all other relevant documents filed or that will be filed with the SEC in connection with the proposed transaction as they become available because they will contain important information about the proposed transaction. Investors and security holders will be able to obtain free copies of the proxy statement/prospectus and all other relevant documents filed or that will be filed with the SEC by ADEX through the website maintained by the SEC at www.sec.gov.
Participants in Solicitation
GRIID, ADEX and their respective directors, executive officers and employees may be deemed to be participants in the solicitation of proxies in respect of the proposed transaction. Information regarding ADEXs directors and executive officers is available in ADEXs Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2021 filed with the SEC on March 21, 2022. Information regarding the persons who may, under the rules of the SEC, be deemed participants in the proxy solicitation and a description of their direct and indirect interests, by security holdings or otherwise, will be contained in the proxy statement/prospectus and other relevant materials to be filed with the SEC when they become available.
This Current Report includes forward-looking statements, within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. These statements express a belief, expectation or intention and are generally accompanied by words that convey projected future events or outcomes such as believe, may, will, estimate, continue, anticipate, design, intend, expect, could, plan, potential, predict, seek, should, would or by variations of such words or by similar expressions. Such statements are not guarantees of future performance and actual results or developments may differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements. Readers are cautioned not to rely too heavily on the forward-looking statements contained in this Current Report. These forward-looking statements speak only as of the date of this Current Report. Except as required by law, ADEX does not undertake any obligation, and specifically declines any obligation, to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
|Item 9.01|| |
Financial Statements and Exhibits.
|4.1||Amended and Restated Promissory Note, issued March 12, 2023|
|104||Cover Page Interactive Data File (embedded within the InLine XBRL document)|
Pursuant to the requirements of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, the registrant has duly caused this report to be signed on its behalf by the undersigned hereunto duly authorized.
|Adit EdTech Acquisition Corp.|
/s/ John DAgostino
|Chief Financial Officer|
Dated: March 13, 2023
THIS CONVERTIBLE PROMISSORY NOTE (THIS NOTE) AND THE SECURITIES INTO WHICH IT MAY BE CONVERTED HAVE NOT BEEN REGISTERED UNDER THE SECURITIES ACT OF 1933, AS AMENDED (THE SECURITIES ACT), OR UNDER THE SECURITIES LAWS OF ANY STATE. THESE SECURITIES ARE SUBJECT TO RESTRICTIONS ON TRANSFERABILITY AND RESALE. THIS NOTE HAS BEEN ACQUIRED FOR INVESTMENT ONLY AND MAY NOT BE SOLD, TRANSFERRED OR ASSIGNED EXCEPT AS PERMITTED UNDER THE SECURITIES ACT AND THE APPLICABLE STATE SECURITIES LAWS, PURSUANT TO REGISTRATION OR EXEMPTION THEREFROM. INVESTORS SHOULD BE AWARE THAT THEY MAY BE REQUIRED TO BEAR THE FINANCIAL RISKS OF THIS INVESTMENT FOR AN INDEFINITE PERIOD OF TIME. THE COMPANY AND THE SECURITIES INTO WHICH IT MAY BE CONVERTED MAY REQUIRE AN OPINION OF COUNSEL REASONABLY SATISFACTORY IN FORM, SCOPE AND SUBSTANCE TO THE COMPANY TO THE EFFECT THAT ANY SALE OR OTHER DISPOSITION IS IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE SECURITIES ACT AND ANY APPLICABLE STATE SECURITIES LAWS.
ADIT EDTECH ACQUISITION CORP.
AMENDED AND RESTATED CONVERTIBLE PROMISSORY NOTE
Principal Amount: Not to Exceed $1,000,000
(See Schedule A)
|Dated as of March 12, 2023|
WHEREAS, Adit EdTech Acquisition Corp., a Delaware corporation (the Maker) issued to Adit EdTech Sponsor, LLC, a Delaware limited liability company, or its registered assigns or successors in interest (the Payee) that certain Convertible Promissory Note, dated August 6, 2021 (the Original Note) pursuant to which the Payee was permitted to make certain advances and readvances in amounts not to exceed a total principal amount of $300,000;
WHEREAS, prior to the date hereof, the total principal amount of all advances and readvances outstanding under the Original Note was $250,000; and
WHEREAS, the Maker and the Payee desire to amend and restate the Original Note in its entirety to, among other things, (i) increase the aggregate amount of all advances and readvances permitted to be made by the Payee to the Maker from $300,000 to $1,000,000, and (ii) to amend the Maturity Date (as defined herein).
NOW, THEREFORE, in consideration of the premises, the agreements hereinafter set forth and other good and valuable consideration, the Maker and the Payee hereby agree that the Original Note is hereby amended, restated and replaced in its entirety by this Amended and Restated Convertible Promissory Note (this Note) to read as follows:
FOR VALUE RECEIVED and subject to the terms and conditions set forth herein, the Maker promises to pay to the order of the Payee the principal balance as set forth on Schedule A hereto in lawful money of the United States of America; which schedule shall be updated from time to time by the parties hereto to reflect all advances and readvances outstanding under this Note; provided that at no time shall the aggregate of all advances and readvances outstanding under this Note exceed one million dollars ($1,000,000). Any advance hereunder shall be made by the Payee upon receipt of a written request of the Maker, related to ongoing expenses reasonably related to the business of the Maker and the consummation of the Business Combination (as defined below), and shall be set forth on Schedule A. Any advance hereunder shall only be made by the Payee as, and to the extent, expenses are incurred or are reasonably expected to be incurred and the amounts of such advance shall be used to pay or repay such expenses. All payments on this Note shall be made by check or wire transfer of immediately available funds or as otherwise determined by the Maker to such account as the Payee may from time to time designate by written notice in accordance with the provisions of this Note.
1. Principal. All unpaid principal under this Note shall be due and payable in full on the earlier of (i) the date on which a definitive decision to liquidate the Maker is made by its board of directors, and (ii) the effective date of a merger, capital stock exchange, asset acquisition, stock purchase, reorganization or similar business combination, involving the Company and one or more businesses (the Business Combination) (such earlier date, the Maturity Date), unless accelerated upon the occurrence of an Event of Default (as defined below). Any outstanding principal amount to date under this Note may be prepaid at any time by the Maker, at its election and without penalty; provided, however, that Payee shall have a right to first convert such principal balance pursuant to Section 5 below upon notice of such prepayment.
2. Interest. No interest shall accrue on the unpaid balance of this Note.
3. Application of Payments. All payments shall be applied first to payment in full of any costs incurred in the collection of any sum due under this Note, including (without limitation) reasonable attorneys fees, then to the payment in full of any late charges and finally to the reduction of the unpaid principal balance of this Note.
4. Events of Default. The occurrence of any of the following shall constitute an event of default (Event of Default):
(a) Failure to Make Required Payments. Failure by the Maker to pay the principal amount due pursuant to this Note within five (5) business days of the date specified above or issue warrants pursuant to Section 5 hereof, if so elected by the Payee.
(b) Voluntary Bankruptcy, Etc. The commencement by the Maker of a voluntary case under any applicable bankruptcy, insolvency, reorganization, rehabilitation or other similar law, or the consent by it to the appointment of or taking possession by a receiver, liquidator, assignee, trustee, custodian, sequestrator (or other similar official) of the Maker or for any substantial part of its property, or the making by it of any assignment for the benefit of creditors, or the failure of the Maker generally to pay its debts as such debts become due, or the taking of corporate action by the Maker in furtherance of any of the foregoing.
(c) Involuntary Bankruptcy, Etc. The entry of a decree or order for relief by a court having jurisdiction in the premises in respect of the Maker in an involuntary case under any applicable bankruptcy, insolvency or other similar law, or appointing a receiver, liquidator, assignee, custodian, trustee, sequestrator (or similar official) of the Maker or for any substantial part of its property, or ordering the winding-up or liquidation of its affairs, and the continuance of any such decree or order unstayed and in effect for a period of sixty (60) consecutive days.
(a) Optional Conversion. At the option of the Payee, at any time on or prior to the Maturity Date, any amounts outstanding under this Note (or any portion thereof), up to $1,000,000 in the aggregate, may be converted into warrants to purchase shares of common stock of the Maker (Common Stock) at a conversion price (the Conversion Price) equal to $1.00 per warrant (Warrants). If the Payee elects such conversion, the terms of such Warrants issued in connection with such conversion shall be identical to the warrants issued to the Payee in the private placement that closed on January 14, 2021 (the Private Placement Warrants) in connection with the Makers initial public offering (the IPO). Before this Note may be converted under this Section 5(a), the Payee shall surrender this Note, duly endorsed, at the office of the Maker and shall state therein the amount of the unpaid principal of this Note to be converted and the name or names in which the certificates for Warrants are to be issued (or the book-entries to be made to reflect ownership of such Warrants with the Makers transfer agent). The conversion shall be deemed to have been made immediately prior to the close of business on the date of the surrender of this Note and the person or persons entitled to receive the Warrants upon such conversion shall be treated for all purposes as the record holder or holders of such Warrants as of such date. Each such newly issued Warrant shall include a restricted legend that contemplates the same restrictions as the Private Placement Warrants. The Warrants and shares of Common Stock issuable upon exercise of the Warrants shall constitute Registrable Securities pursuant to that certain Registration Rights Agreement entered into among the Maker, the Payee and certain other security holders named therein dated as of January 11, 2021.
(b) Remaining Principal. All accrued and unpaid principal of this Note that is not then converted into Warrants, shall continue to remain outstanding and to be subject to the conditions of this Note.
(c) Fractional Warrants; Effect of Conversion. No fractional Warrants shall be issued upon conversion of this Note. In lieu of any fractional Warrants to the Payee upon conversion of this Note, the Maker shall pay to the Payee an amount equal to the product obtained by multiplying the Conversion Price by the fraction of a Warrant not issued pursuant to the previous sentence. Upon conversion of this Note in full and the payment of any amounts specified in this Section 5(c), this Note shall be cancelled and void without further action of the Maker or the Payee, and the Maker shall be forever released from all its obligations and liabilities under this Note.
(a) Upon the occurrence of an Event of Default specified in Section 4(a) hereof, the Payee may, by written notice to the Maker, declare this Note to be due immediately and payable, whereupon the unpaid principal amount of this Note, and all other amounts payable thereunder, shall become immediately due and payable without presentment, demand, protest or other notice of any kind, all of which are hereby expressly waived, anything contained herein or in the documents evidencing the same to the contrary notwithstanding.
(b) Upon the occurrence of an Event of Default specified in Sections 4(b) or 4(c), the unpaid principal balance of this Note, and all other sums payable with regard to this Note, shall automatically and immediately become due and payable, in all cases without any action on the part of the Payee.
7. Waivers. The Maker and all endorsers and guarantors of, and sureties for, this Note waive presentment for payment, demand, notice of dishonor, protest, and notice of protest with regard to the Note, all errors, defects and imperfections in any proceedings instituted by the Payee under the terms of this Note, and all benefits that might accrue to the Maker by virtue of any present or future laws exempting any property, real or personal, or any part of the proceeds arising from any sale of any such property, from attachment, levy or sale under execution, or providing for any stay of execution, exemption from civil process, or extension of time for payment; and the Maker agrees that any real estate that may be levied upon pursuant to a judgment obtained by virtue hereof, on any writ of execution issued hereon, may be sold upon any such writ in whole or in part in any order desired by the Payee.
8. Unconditional Liability. The Maker hereby waives all notices in connection with the delivery, acceptance, performance, default, or enforcement of the payment of this Note, and agrees that its liability shall be unconditional, without regard to the liability of any other party, and shall not be affected in any manner by any indulgence, extension of time, renewal, waiver or modification granted or consented to by the Payee, and consents to any and all extensions of time, renewals, waivers, or modifications that may be granted by the Payee with respect to the payment or other provisions of this Note, and agrees that additional makers, endorsers, guarantors, or sureties may become parties hereto without notice to the Maker or affecting the Makers liability hereunder.
9. Notices. All notices, statements or other documents which are required or contemplated by this Note shall be made in writing and delivered (i) personally or sent by first class registered or certified mail, overnight courier service or facsimile or electronic transmission to the address designated in writing, (ii) by facsimile to the number most recently provided to such party or such other address or fax number as may be designated in writing by such party, or (iii) by electronic mail, to the electronic mail address most recently provided to such party or such other electronic mail address as may be designated in writing by such party. Any notice or other communication so transmitted shall be deemed to have been given on the day of delivery, if delivered personally, on the business day following receipt of written confirmation, if sent by facsimile or electronic transmission; one (1) business day after delivery to an overnight courier service; or five (5) days after mailing if sent by first class registered or certified mail.
10. Amendment and Restatement. This Note is given in renewal and substitution of the Original Note. This Note renews the obligations evidenced by the Original Note. The Original Note shall, in its entirety, be superseded, amended, and restated by this Note and payment of the indebtedness thereunder shall be governed by this Note as if the aggregate unpaid indebtedness due under the Original Note had been advanced hereunder by Payee. Maker hereby renews and extends its covenant and agreement to pay the indebtedness evidenced by the Original Note, as amended and restated pursuant to this Note, and Maker hereby renews and extends its covenant and agreement to perform, comply with, and be bound by each and every term and provision of the Original Note, as amended and restated by the terms of this Note.
11. Governing Law. THIS NOTE SHALL BE GOVERNED BY AND CONSTRUED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LAWS OF NEW YORK APPLICABLE TO CONTRACTS MADE AND TO BE PERFORMED WITHIN THE STATE OF NEW YORK.
12. Severability. Any provision contained in this Note which is prohibited or unenforceable in any jurisdiction shall, as to such jurisdiction, be ineffective to the extent of such prohibition or unenforceability without invalidating the remaining provisions hereof, and any such prohibition or unenforceability in any jurisdiction shall not invalidate or render unenforceable such provision in any other jurisdiction.
13. Trust Waiver. Notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, the Payee hereby waives any and all right, title, interest or claim of any kind (Claim) in or to any distribution of or from the trust account established in connection with the Makers IPO, and hereby agrees not to seek recourse, reimbursement, payment or satisfaction for any Claim against the trust account for any reason whatsoever; provided, however, that upon the consummation of the Business Combination, the Maker shall repay the principal balance of this Note out of the proceeds released to the Maker from the trust account after payment to holders of the public shares of the Maker in accordance with Section 3 hereof. The foregoing shall bind any permitted assignee or transferee of this Note.
14. Amendment; Waiver. Any amendment hereto or waiver of any provision hereof may be made with, and only with, the written consent of the Maker and the Payee.
15. Successors and Assigns. Subject to the restrictions on transfer in Sections 15 and 16 below, the rights and obligations of the Maker and the Payee hereunder shall be binding upon and benefit the successors, assigns, heirs, administrators and transferees of any party hereto (by operation of law or otherwise) with the prior written consent of the other party hereto and any attempted assignment without the required consent shall be void.
16. Transfer of this Note or Securities Issuable on Conversion. With respect to any sale or other disposition of this Note or securities into which this Note may be converted, the Payee shall give written notice to the Maker prior thereto, describing briefly the manner thereof, together with (i) except for a Permitted Transfer, in which case the requirements in this clause (i) shall not apply, a written opinion reasonably satisfactory to the Maker in form and substance from counsel reasonably satisfactory to the Maker to the effect that such sale or other distribution may be effected without registration or qualification under any federal or state law then in effect, and (ii) a written undertaking executed by the desired transferee reasonably satisfactory to the Maker in form and substance agreeing to be bound by the restrictions on transfer contained herein. Upon receiving such written notice, reasonably satisfactory opinion, or other evidence, and such written acknowledgement, the Maker, as promptly as practicable, shall notify the Payee that the Payee may sell or otherwise dispose of this Note or such securities, all in accordance with the terms of the note delivered to the Maker. If a determination has been made pursuant to this Section 15 that the opinion of counsel for the Payee, or other evidence, or the written acknowledgment from the desired transferee, is not reasonably satisfactory to the Maker, the Maker shall so notify the Payee promptly after such determination has been made. Each Note thus transferred shall bear a legend as to the applicable restrictions on transferability in order to ensure compliance with the Securities Act, unless in the opinion of counsel for the Maker such legend is not required in order to ensure compliance with the Securities Act. The Maker may issue stop transfer instructions to its transfer agent in connection with such restrictions. Subject to the foregoing, transfers of this Note shall be registered upon registration on the books maintained for such purpose by or on behalf of the Maker. Prior to presentation of this Note for registration of transfer, the Maker shall treat the registered holder hereof as the owner and holder of this Note for the purpose of receiving all payments of principal hereon and for all other purposes whatsoever, whether or not this Note shall be overdue and the Maker shall not be affected by notice to the contrary. For purposes hereof Permitted Transfer shall have the same meaning as any transfer that would be permitted for the Private Placement Warrants under the Letter Agreement entered into, among the Maker, the Payee and the other parties thereto dated as of January 11, 2021.
17. Acknowledgment. The Payee is acquiring this Note for investment for its own account, not as a nominee or agent, and not with a view to, or for resale in connection with, any distribution thereof. The Payee understands that the acquisition of this Note involves substantial risk. The Payee has experience as an investor in securities of companies and acknowledges that it is able to fend for itself, can bear the economic risk of its investment in this Note, and has such knowledge and experience in financial and business matters that it is capable of evaluating the merits and risks of this investment in this Note and protecting its own interests in connection with this investment.
[Signature Page Follows]
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the Maker, intending to be legally bound hereby, has caused this Note to be duly executed by the undersigned as of the day and year first above written.
|ADIT EDTECH ACQUISITION CORP.|
/s/ David L. Shrier
|Name: David L. Shrier|
|Title: Chief Executive Officer|
[Signature Page to Convertible Promissory Note]